For some people, sales is in their DNA. Today’s guest, Jose Quiroz, is one of those people. He is a digital operations expert who comes from a long line of salespeople, even though he wasn’t initially aware. But as the son of an entrepreneur, Jose quickly learned to use his natural sales abilities to create opportunities for himself.
Two things inspired Jose to begin selling:
- First, was Mark Cuban saying that sales is about helping people. “You have a problem. I got a solution for you.”
- The second was Jose’s trial and error methodology. He had to figure out how to sell, communicate, and analyze situations.
- The biggest thing that resonated with Jose was the importance of listening instead of talking.
A time Jose failed:
- Jose was trying to penetrate a local market, and through his Chamber of Commerce connections, he met a local retailer who had a name for herself.
- They had a conversation, but Jose went into it with the intent to sell rather than to understand.
- They talked over each other, didn’t see eye to eye, and the conversation ended with awkward tension.
- A few months later, through the work he did with people around her, she gave him business. But he fired her as a client two years later because of those same communication issues.
- Understand when you are in a sales call and when you aren’t. Don’t assume one way or another until you’ve had a chance to learn from the individual.
- Be quiet and listen to the other person beyond what they’re saying to you. Look at their mannerisms and what’s in between the lines to find information that might not be as apparent.
- A smart salesperson comes with ammunition; they understand who the individual is, what moves them, what drives them, and their interests.
Learning those takeaways led to Jose’s success
- His team recently sold a national company on a regional part of the business, and they were invited to do a national pitch.
- Jose knew he needed to take a deep dive and research everything he could about the company. Understand who the key players are, who’s the decision-maker, and what influences them.
- He went into this meeting with the intent to listen and tell a story, not just to sell.
Jose’s advice for someone of color to be successful in sales:
- Realize that sales is everywhere around you. You’re always selling; whether trying to get a date or job, there are many instances you sell yourself to others.
- Take advantage of business and sales development opportunities. You’ll learn a lot about yourself and practice getting out of your comfort zone.
- Jose believes in reciprocity: The more you give, the more you get back.
- If you want to go into sales, know that there will be trials and tribulations. It will take time, and you’ll need to develop a thick skin, but it will be well worth it.
This episode is brought to you in part by Skipio.
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is real.
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and start having conversations that end in the conversions you want. Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by NetHunt CRM.
NetHunt CRM is a sales automation tool that lives inside Gmail. It covers a full set of features to manage leads, nurture customer relations, monitor sales progress, and automate sales and marketing workflows. With native-like Gmail and G Suite integration, you can access your CRM data, launch bulk email campaigns, and set up automated sequences from the comfort of your inbox. NetHunt helps move leads down your sales funnel and never lets a valuable prospect go untouched.
NetHunt CRM offers TSE listeners a 40% discount for the first three months along with free user training and a dedicated Customer Success Manager with any pricing plan.
Try NetHunt CRM today at https://nethunt.com/tse.
This course is brought to you in part by the TSE Sales Certified Training Program, a course designed to help new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales and close more deals. Help elevate your sales game and sign up now to get the first two modules free! You can visit www.thesalesevangelist.com/closemoredeals or call (561) 570-5077 for more information. We value your opinion and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our two-minute survey here: thesalesevangelist.com/survey.
Read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible and explore their huge online library. Register now to get a free book and a 30-day trial.