Sometimes the coincidences in our lives provide guidance and direction, so it’s important to listen to your inner voice. In this episode, Mary Beth Rosebrough shares her experience of going back to school at 40 and how it taught her to listen to her inner voice.
- You may have goals and aspirations that don’t make sense to other people but if your inner voice is prompting you to move, do it anyway. Mary Beth went back to college to complete her degree at 40 and many people questioned her motives and how she would apply her degree. She had to stay focused and so will you.
- Sometimes you have to go backward before you go forward. Even when Mary Beth had to take an earlier math class, it set her up to launch forward.
- You can accomplish your goals while your children are following their goals. Mary Beth’s children were going to college just as she was getting her degree as well.
- What is your passion? Now that you’re older, you likely have a better sense of who you are and what you love. Now is the time to focus on who you are authentically and pursue the passions of your heart.
- Mary Beth wasn’t in a hurry to get her degree, just a dogged determination to finish. She started her degree at 40, had a 5th child at 44, and she finished her first degree at 50 and her second at 55.
- What resources do you have to accomplish your goals? What kind of help do you have? Where are the gaps in your schedule that could be filled with the things that are fulfilling to you? These are great questions to start asking yourself. When you know you have more resources than you think, you can focus on your inner voice.
- Pay attention to those “coincidences.”
Tips from Mary Beth:
- Listen to yourself. Listen to those desires and feelings you have inside, even if they don’t make sense. They’re there for a reason.
- Slow down enough to pay attention to the feelings that come up. These may be the perfect times to get a sense of your next steps and the next right thing to do.
- Be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there.
Questions to ask yourself:
- What is the next thing that would propel my happiness forward?
- What messages am I getting?
- What feelings am I getting?
Knowing these questions is a great way to start your journey of rediscovering and reinventing yourself.
“Listen to Your Inner Voice” episode resources
You can get in touch with host, Mary Beth Rosebrough on Instagram, @rediscov.her
MUSIC CREDIT: AudioJungle