On today’s episode of IntHERrupt, Linda chats with Sabrena Jay-Songowa. Since founding SJI in 2016, Consultant and Coach Sabrena Jay-Songowa has helped individuals break free from defeated mindsets in order to allow true purpose and fulfillment to shine through.
Why do women in particular struggle with promoting themselves?
- Women have many roles such as mother, wife, and employee
- When it comes to promoting yourself, a lot of women don’t know who they are personally.
What advice does Sabrena have for those trying to figure out who they are?
- We are ever-changing, so reassess who you are and your strengths and weaknesses.
- Think about how you can best maximize who you are.
What has Sabrena done in her career to self-promote?
- Network. Sabrena holds free marketing and coaching workshops.
- She hosts events in her community
- She utilizes social media and provides value to those around her.
What does Sabrena suggest to individuals who are looking for that next promotion?
- Take initiative.
- Go the extra mile so that you are recognized for what you are good at.
How can you feel confident when you aren’t feeling confident?
- Sabrena has struggled with confidence a lot throughout her career.
- Before meetings, she held ‘power poses’ and reminded herself that she deserved to be there.
- She educates herself on what she is working on.
Tips to build confidence
- Reading – knowledge is power
- Remind yourself of your past successes.
- Make sure you are passionate about what you are working on.
How should you ask for a raise?
- Keep a record of all your successes.
- If you know that you are going above and beyond, you deserve to be paid for it.
Has Sabrena ever been interrupted?
- Sabrena was the only woman in a leadership position in her company.
- When she was interrupted during meetings she would acknowledge their input but would always stand her ground.
- Sabrena simply suggests “Be bold”.
Three leadership tips from Sabrena
- Let yourself off the hook. Don’t hold yourself to an unrealistic standard.
- Be open-minded.
- Always be learning.
For more content and information from Sabrena, visit her website. Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.