An educator by trade and entrepreneur by design, today’s guest Nathalie Gregg teaches, coaches, and trains students and professionals looking to progress in their personal and professional endeavors. In today’s episode of IntHerrupt, she and Linda discuss the power of pay equity and how women can leverage their skills to secure a place at the table.
Negotiating equitable pay:
- First, determine what equitable means to you (and it doesn’t always mean equal.)
- As women, we frequently don’t take assessments of what we do well. So, start with that and think about the things that bring you joy.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help internally and externally to determine what equitable pay looks like for you. It’s based on your values and the value you bring to the organization.
Three tips to get a raise:
- Know your value, and have confidence in your value.
- Have a list or project plan in action that shows what you’ve done and how you’ve responded in certain situations.
- Recognize how visible you are to your internal team because that influences the amount of leadership and decision-making you can generate.
- Be prepared to walk away. If the company is not willing to meet your demands or at least come to an agreement with you, be ready to leave.
What to do if you aren’t receiving equitable pay:
- Mentorship and networking are critical. You can’t network occasionally; it’s about serving others and helping others when the opportunity arises.
- Surround yourself with other people who move toward their goals.
Negotiating the performance review:
- Keep a record of your wins with an explanation of how they correlated to revenue, brand awareness, or whatever bottom line you help move.
- Testimonials from coworkers, peers, clients, mentors, and anyone else who would be a viable opinion to supplement your claims.
- Determine your non-negotiables. It could be money, time, vacation, or even office space; permit yourself to leave the circumstance if whatever is important to you is not met.
For more information and content from Nathalie, connect with her on LinkedIn or visit her website nathaliegregg.com.Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.