We work and grow alongside our coworkers for much of our lives. But how can we maximize that growth by inspiring a sense of community, inclusivity, and belonging in the workplace? In today’s episode of IntHerrupt, Linda is joined by FirstLantic Healthcare’s Director of Marketing, Karen Gross, to learn how we can foster a better and more inclusive work environment.
Everyone feels like they don’t “belong” at some point.
- Karen faced low pay, long hours, and high expectations during her time in advertising. While she enjoyed the industry, she knew she wanted more.
- If you don’t feel that sense of belonging, it isn’t because of you; it’s because of the environment.
- A workplace culture that embraces people is essential to having employees stay, thrive, and grow.
- Belonging inspires passion for work: If someone is struggling to find passion, it’s likely due to these negative feelings.
Creating a sense of belonging:
- Karen’s company has ‘21 fundamentals’ that embrace their values, and new hires are exposed to them from the beginning.
- Those values are implemented through training sessions. However, belonging can also be as easy as talking to your staff and coworkers as people to inspire a feeling of belonging.
- Leaders must communicate with their teams and explain how each individual’s contributions impact the organization’s vision.
- Everyone matters, and every person on Karen’s team is aware of that.
DEI is an opportunity to revive a workplace culture.
- Even if the culture isn’t present now, you still have a voice, and you should feel confident expressing your emotions. If you can’t express those, you’ll feel stifled.
- You might think nobody wants to hear from you. However, you’ll be shocked by what happens when you speak up and share ideas.
- A Gallup study found that workplace engagement is one of the largest indicators of passion for the job. Many people disengage from their work because leadership doesn’t provide the proper support.
The biggest takeaway from today’s episode? Treat your team with kindness and respect, and they’ll be more inspired to contribute to your organization’s goals. Connect with Karen on LinkedIn for more great content and information. Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.