Empowering a team starts with empowering yourself. In today’s episode of IntHerrupt, Linda is joined by sales coach and Chief Growth Officer of Consult Speak Coach Cheryl Parks. Cheryl got into sales to make a nice life for herself, and she mentally walked her mind into a new way of thinking to do her best in the business.
Breaking out of the mindset dichotomy:
- It starts with one decision. Cheryl realized she wouldn’t reach her goals if she didn’t change something about her life.
- At first, she never wanted to be seen and instead wanted to hide in the background.
- To be someone new, she pretends to be someone else. She started mindset shifting, preparing herself to be confident and outgoing in her work.
- Keep affirmations on your phone, and listen to motivational music; there are many things you can do to trick your brain into a new way of thinking.
The benefit of empowering your team:
- Buyers are significantly savvier than they were before. 70% of decision-making is completed by the time a salesperson starts a conversation.
- A huge proponent of diverse experiences is diverse connections.
- You are only as strong as the weakest person in your team. If someone isn’t interested in what’s happening, the team will only get that far.
- To improve team empowerment, prepare everyone and meet people where they are.
- Talk through the situation, practice, and if you see it a few more times, you’ll feel more comfortable.
- If the person can’t get past themselves, there may be a conversation about whether or not they should be a part of the discussion.
Empowering other stakeholders impacted by decisions:
- Communication. Simon Sinek’s Start with Why explains that people are more focused and supportive of an idea or methodology when they understand its why.
- If you can explain why you’re doing what you’re doing to other stakeholders, it can be helpful.
- Communicate with people impacted by a decision. The time and energy that goes into supporting an opportunity is an investment, and everyone will bring their best energy if they know what’s happening.
Other empowerment methods:
- Spend time with high-action people who keep you accountable.
- Be around people who have a similar thought process.
- Manages your energy – give yourself time to take a walk, get some sunshine, or do whatever you need to maintain energy.
Connect with Cheryl on LinkedIn for more content and to stay up-to-date on her work. Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.