If you don’t design your life, someone else will. In the IntHerrupt season five kickoff, Linda shares her eight-step process to set and accomplish your goals for the new year that will help you achieve every goal you ever set.
Step One: Look at where you spend your time.
- Throughout the last year, look at what you spent time on, the projects you accomplished, and the responsibilities you had.
Step Two: What was the outcome of how you spent your time?
- Debrief what went well, what could’ve gone better, and where you should spend more time.
- Reflect on what is going on in your life or business and differentiate what you can and can’t control.
Step Three: Ask what you would do in your career, business, or life if you could do anything?
- If there were no limits on your life, where would you want to be?
- Playing make-believe, daydreaming, envisioning- whatever you want to call it, allow yourself to dream beyond where you are now.
- Don’t self-regulate those dreams based on where you are now.
Step Four: Go back and spend more time on Step Three.
- Let’s face it; you probably didn’t spend enough time there.
Step Five: Put the pen to the paper.
- There is tons of research that has shown writing something down sends mental triggers to your brain.
- Write down six objectives or goals you want to accomplish, and prioritize them in order of importance.
Step Six: Cross off the bottom five objectives.
- Remember that list? Yeah, cross everything off that isn’t number one.
- Focusing on the one goal you decided was most important will help you fully commit to that one single goal.
Step Seven: Make an action plan.
How are you going to make that goal happen?
Make a list of quick wins that you can have by the end of the month – this helps you stay motivated and on track to achieve a large-scale goal that might be difficult to visualize.
Step Eight: Decide when to say no.
- It’s okay to say no (check out this great IntHerrupt episode all about it.)
- Make a list of the good things that will keep you from achieving your one great objective.
- Think about whether to delete, defer, or delete these good things that might prevent you from achieving the goal.
If you utilize this eight-step process, you’ll find goal-setting far easier and position yourself in a way to best achieve those goals!
Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.