Today’s episode is from the IntHerrupt archives featuring Linda’s conversation with Vidette Pires. In this episode, Linda and Vidette discuss challenges women have in the workplace and what we can do to establish processes and obtain the respect and authority our position and role in the company deserves.
Having a seat at the table
- Organizations give women seats at the table. But often, these are token seats.
- Even after being on a career path for years, it can be difficult to feel your position doesn’t command the same respect as male colleagues in the same position.
Partner with the right people
- A seat at the table isn’t enough. In that seat, you must be able to speak and be heard.
- The support of the right people can make it far easier for women to garner the respect and authority we deserve. The way around this is to create a process.
- For Vidette, this includes knowing if there is a “hidden” agenda, changing the tone, and thinking about stakeholders who have a say in the outcome.
- She reaches out to them, one by one, and partners with her managers to drive a proactive plan.
- It is equally important to take risks and have the courage to walk away if the situation demands it. When respect is no longer offered, regardless of gender, you have to know when to walk away with your dignity intact.
- This can look different depending on the need. It may mean leaving a meeting to get fresh air. More severe challenges may mean leaving an organization that doesn’t support you or acknowledges your contributions.
Connect with Vidette Pires on LinkedIn. Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.