When it comes to interacting with the opposite sex in the workplace, doing so assertively and confidently is the key to having a strong presence. But how can we do this while remaining professional? On today’s episode of IntHERrupt, Linda is joined by Cathy Klein, the director of global service strategy and program management at Sensormatic, to learn how she communicates with men professionally.
Integrity is the key.
- Communication is all about understanding your audience. If an audience doesn’t understand your intent, it’s up to the communicator to change.
- Understand how to communicate with the audience you speak with. Interact at their level of understanding about their field to build a reputation and rapport that helps people listen to you (and it demonstrates your knowledge of the topic.)
- If your audience doesn’t hear the intent behind your message, ask how you can alter your communication style to ensure they understand your message.
- When someone doesn’t understand your message, ask for feedback rather than get upset. When you come across as assertive rather than passive, people are more likely to listen to what you have to say.
Managing the expectation for women to contain their emotions.
- Give yourself the time you need to step back from a situation to regroup when you need it.
- Find allies and advocates for you when unfair situations arise so they can help deescalate a situation if one occurs.
- If there is no ally to help you, do not be afraid to stand up for yourself. Emphasize that you’ve already made a point or that something has already been discussed.
Find your confidence when at the workplace.
- Stand up, take up space, and project your voice. Don’t scream, but be heard.
- Draw on your colleagues – they are a great source to get feedback
- Know and understand the material you’re talking about and working with.
- You can choose to be confident, or you can choose not to be. People will understand and empathize.
Want to get in touch with Cathy? Connect with her on LinkedIn. Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.