In today’s episode, Kanika Tolver talks about what every woman should know about her personal brand and why a personal brand is important.
Kanika is a career coach and the owner of Career Rehab, a career coach practice in the Washington, DC area. She’s focused on helping people transform their careers. Kanika is also in the government tech space for more than 15 years.
Personal brand and leadership
- As a person that leads a technology team and with career coaching clients, it helped her become more of an active listener.
- It also helps her hone her skills in understanding what people really need.
- Leadership means having the skills to help people and support them with whatever they need. Leaders should learn how to listen and to encourage.
- For Kanika, personal branding is not about being heard, putting her brand out there, and becoming successful. It’s more of helping others attain success.
- As a career coach, it’s about Kanika helping others transform their personal branding to land their dream jobs.
- It’s important to be an active listener to help equip them with the information that they need to be successful.
Ways to step up your personal brand
- Understand your why.
- Journaling is helpful to help you map out your why. You need to figure out what you want to do and write down your goals.
- When you know what you want, you can start aligning your goals into actionable steps.
- After that, you need to lay the foundation of your brand. This includes revamping your resume, redoing your LinkedIn profile, re-evaluating your website, and more.
- The next thing is to figure out the people you are marketing to. Create a marketing strategy around reaching your target market, identifying where they are, and how you’re going to connect with them.
- Lean in to what you are passionate about and where your strength lies.
- When you’ve hurt your personal brand, what you can do is to be honest and apologize. Be genuine about your intent.
Rise against the challenges
- It’s important to take ownership of our lives and our choices.
- We can turn our anxieties into accomplishments when we start voting for us.
- You need to set up a team of people who can help you win.
- Kanika’s book was a fruit of her choice of putting herself first . Her previous career wasn’t making her happy and upn evaluation, she decided to drop it and start her own private practice.
“What Every Woman Should Know About Her Personal Brand” episode resources
Connect with Kanika Tover on LinkedIn. You can also check out here book Career Rehab: Rebuild Your Personal Brand and Rethink The Way You Work here.
If you haven’t already, please subscribe to the Int-HER-rupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single interview. You can find us on Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. You can also leave comments, suggestions, and ratings for every episode you listen to.
Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen Productions.